The Intern will provide general accounting support to the Finance, Tax and Treasury teams. He or she will have a basic understanding of accounting principles and will assist with routine department tasks specified at the start of each rotation with a focus on various account reconciliations, preparation of ad hoc report requests, performance clerical accounting operations and exposure to MAR controls, data collection for various tax and regulatory filings. This position will provide general assistance throughout the accounting function with the intent to expose the individual to different aspects of insurance accounting. Rotation to different units will vary in timing and length based on current needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
As needed, and with direction, will assist with the following:
• Account reconciliation preparation, including but not limited to; cash, investments, suspense, other assets and liabilities. Includes general ledger research, preparation and posting of journal entries, documentation, and follow-up of variances
• Research and compilation of annual regulatory filings including access to state websites to determine amounts, timing and supporting documentation of required fees.
• The preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements on a GAAP and statutory basis (introduction to WINGS, Workiva and other internal reporting tools)• Assist in preparation of ad hoc reports (introduction to data collection and analysis of output)
• MAR control testing (invoice and journal entry testing), collection/organization and review of TPA reconciliations
• Premium and municipal tax filings (preparation, electronic filings, scanning originals and ensuring complete documentation)
• Federal and state income tax compliance including estimated tax payments and filing of federal and state income returns.
• Preparation for tax correspondence including clerical activities (copying, assembling and mailing returns)
• File organization and maintenance, including new file set up, scanning documents, etc. regarding other compliance filings Management retains the discretion to add or change the duties of the position at any time. It should be noted that assignments will be for a period of three – six months depending on the assignment and workload of the department.
- Progress towards a BA or AA degree in accounting or related field
- Previous experience in professional environment; life insurance industry a plus, but not required.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver timely results and attentive to deadlines.
- Strong MS Office skills
- Knowledge of general ledgers and reporting tools deemed valuable
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work with various team members; collaborative style; partners effectively and with ease.
- Keen eye for detail and accuracy; quality focused
- Efficient and effective
- Results-driven; problem-solver
Kuvare company is an equal opportunity employer that makes hiring decisions based on merit, qualifications, and the business need. We are dedicated to a policy of nondiscrimination in employment on any basis including age, sex, color, race, creed, national origin, religious persuasion, marital status, political belief, or disability that does not prohibit performance of essential job functions. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply.